Saturday, February 22, 2014

Rainbows and Pansies

I feel like I have been seeing granny squares all over the place. I love granny squares but I don't have the endurance to make them then do something with them. I know this about myself. Really I do.

picture from P.S. I crochet

 Then I saw this awesome square pattern on P.S I crochet.

A granny spiral bobble square. I loved it. So what so I do? I ask C, look isn't this pretty, do you want mommy to make you a blanket? Of course!!




This is how the conversation went. What colors do you want? Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Well, it just has four colors, what four colors do you want. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. That's six colors. Yes. Let's pick four colors. But I want a rainbow blanket. Of course you do.

So, again, what do I do? Sure, C, I'll make you a rainbow blanket. And then what do I do? I decide that I'm going to make a twin size blanket for her bed that she doesn't even have yet. And since I do know myself and my, dare I say hatred, for stitching things together, I decided that if I made 12 inch squares I would be making less squares and therefore sewing less. 4 x 6 squares, so a 48 in x 72 in blanket. Only 24 squares, that's not bad.

That decision made I started on my squares. I added pink and lavender to C's color choices.


Then I realized, this is going to be a dizzy blanket. I thought about doing just solid colored squares, 12 spirals and 12 solids, but a flat square next to the bobble looked funny. I needed something with dimension. What goes with rainbows, flowers.

Back I went to blogs and searches. I found Annoo's Crochet World. So many flower granny squares. I finally decided on Spring Pansy.


Only that flower is too small to work on a 12 inch square. Dilemma. Okay, if I make four flowers that will work on a 12 inch square. Since each flower is two colors I can put all eight colors on one square to tie it all together. But that is 48 flowers. So much for my as little as possible thoughts.


I plan on putting the flowers on cream colored squares. Hopefully that will tone the rainbow down a little. I'm just waiting for a sale on yarn to get the color I want. They will be spread out, I just have them tied together so I can keep the colors organized.

I'll post again on this when I accomplish more. I hope I can get it done by the end of March so my grandma can help me organize the squares when I see her then.


Happy Stitching!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Molly, thank you for your comment over at P.S. I crochet. I LOVE your bright bold spirals and I think you describing the squares as dizzy is perfect. I grew up through the 1970s and your primary colour swirls remind me of something similar they often put in cartoons in that era when somebody got dizzy. I can't wait to see the finished result, I love the pansies also. Best wishes Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dizzy squares, reminds me of an afghan my mother in law made that the family described as crawling off the sofa. It was hot pink, and sparkle silver done in the ripple. It really did crawl...so to speak. I love your bright and bold design. I just finished putting together a 7 color waffle stitch afghan, so I love bright and bold colors. Now I am assembling a hex square afghan. Soon I will be switching to amigurumi as the season here is soon to be hot and blankets and afghans just to warm to be working with.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly